Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What is ESBI?

Yesterday I accidentally bumped into another employee in our company cafeteria. I turned and found myself looking at a very 'senior' agent in the literal sense. He looked to be more than 50 years old, perhaps nearing 60.

I apologized but I wasn't sure if I said it for the bump or for his unspoken situation - he still needs to work when he should be reaping the fruits of his many years of labor. He should be enjoying the rest of his life with his family, realizing his dreams. I don't know exactly what happened to him in life, but maybe if he knew the way to financial freedom when he was younger, life would be very different for him.

This blog is about ESBI - the four ways we generate income. It is the topic of Robert T. Kyosaki's second book, Cash Flow Quadrant. Kiyosaki is the best selling author of the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad, which changed my life.

ESBI stands for Employee (E), Small Business (S), Business Owner (B) and Investor (I). ES are the quadrants for Active Income - this means you need to spend a lot of time and effort on work to earn some money. BI belong to the Passive Income category, which means with some time and effort, you are able to generate a lot of money. This is the simplest definition of ESBI.


Image courtesy of www.networkmarketing-lifestyle.com

This is the message of the Parable of the Pipeline which I posted previously. I think it's clear which quadrants Pablo and Bruno belong to.

Don't get me wrong, I like being an employee - I learn a lot and this is where I acquire the knowledge and skills I need in developing myself. However, if we depend on just one of the active income quadrants for our primary source of income, we won't have time to do the things that really matter in life - our family, our dreams and our future.

One can generate income from all of the quadrants, but the goal should be to discover and cultivate passive income sources. By doing this, there won't be any need to work for the rest of our lives.

When the 'senior' employee walked away, I found myself staring back at him. I like working, but not to the point where I would still need to work until I'm old and frail. I really hope life will be different for me.

No comments: